Re: HTML-A11Y TF Text Subteam Request

Steve Faulkner, Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:51:17 +0100:

I may have misunderstood a detail or two here, but, some questions:

> in regards to non visible tab stops, its pretty cut and dried.
>
> this is a violation of
> WCAG 2.0 2.4.7 Focus Visible: Any keyboard operable user interface
> has a mode of operation where the keyboard focus indicator is
> visible. (Level AA)

OK. But in case of a link in the fallback of a canvas element, then why
does it not break with WCAG 2.0 that the link (in canvas’ visually
hidden fallback) is included in the tabbing order of the page? (Tested
in IE9, and this is also how I understand that it is planned to work.)

Secondly, with regard to aria-describedBY pointing to hidden content,
then isn't the aria-describedBY comparable to @longdesc in the sense
that only *some* users see it/care for it? I ask because, with regard
to @longdesc, then it can point to a hidden section (hidden via CSS -
let's keep @hidden out of this) which, as soon as the longdesc link is
activated, becomes visible, with the consequence that possible tab
stops inside then made visible content, is made available. And
likewise: *If* to follow an aria-describedBY "link" to a hidden section
makes the hidden section visible, then what is the problem?

I relate these two issue because, when Maciej and Jonas discussed
aria-describedby pointing to hidden content, then they too did the same.

A problem in the debate is @hidden versus hidden: Currently HTML5 says
that @hidden implies that @aria-hidden=true is also set - which, to me,
means that e.g. doing div[hidden]{display:block} means that the element
becomes visible — but still hidden to AT, due to the @aria-hidden=true.
(Am I not right in this?)

Therefore, might it not actually have been simpler if @hidden did *not*
imply @aria-hidden=true? Because, in that case one could simply use CSS
to make it visible - and accessible - to anyone.

Leif H Silli