W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-gl@w3.org > January to March 2012

[html-techs] Minutes Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference,,23 Jan 2012

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 18:10:04 +0000
Message-ID: <4F1DA27C.60406@cfit.ie>
To: W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
CC: "w3c-wai-pf@w3.org PF" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
Hi y'all,

Here are the minutes of our inaugural HTML5/WCAG techniques meeting.

They are available at [1], and at the end of this mail.

Thanks to everyone who attended.

Cheers

Josh

[1] http://www.w3.org/2012/01/23-wai-wcag-minutes.html


- DRAFT -

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference

23 Jan 2012

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
David_MacDonald, James_Nurthen, Marc_Johlic, Cooper, Christophe_Strobbe, 
Joshue_O_Connor, chris, Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Léonie_Watson, jongund, 
+1.703.890.aaaa, Katie_Haritos-Shea, adam_solomon
Regrets
Bruce_Bailey, Tim_Boland
Chair
James_Nurthen
Scribe
Joshue
Contents

Topics
Which members can participate
Times for meetings
Priorities of Work
Summary of Action Items
<trackbot> Date: 23 January 2012
<scribe> scribe: Joshue
<MichaelC> scribeNick: Joshue108
JN: This is a good time for Bruce and Tim, but they just cannot make 
this call.
MC: Discusses scribing list credits
JN: If in PF style we should get PF credit!
DMcD: We should get both
MC: We will work it off line
JN: I don't object to chairs scribing
JOC: +1
Which members can participate

MC: You do have to a member of either WCAG or PF to contribute.
... If people who are interested are not in either, contact me and I 
will try to facilitate them
... So is this acceptable?
JN: The WCAG outputs are in the public space, and PF is private.
... This should be in the public space
MC: Agreed
JN: Objections?
<silence>
JN: Ok, anyone not here we can discuss on list.
... We can draft a proposed resolution.
MC: I'd write a resolution.
RESOLUTION: Work to take place in WCAG space, to participate members 
will need to join WCAG.
... All materials will be public
MC: Minutes and pointers will be sent to both WGs.
JN: Will we send stuff to Xtech?
KHS: What about a keyword?
Times for meetings

JN: Does this time work for people on call?
<some dissent>
JN: We will propose times, length etc.
... The above is the suggested time
... Anyone else? Please let us know
< Discussion on best day and time>
<MichaelC> proposed: Mondays 16:30 to 18:00 UTC (Standard Time)
LW: When is WCAG call?
JN: Thursday at 9pm GMT
... We'll put it on the survey
MC: These times aren't great for the Antipodes.
JN: I also think, every other week we could have varied meeting times. 
In order to make progress etc
JOC: +1
CS: It could be risky..
JN: We need good calendaring!
JOC: In principle, is yes - I'm up for that.
JN: It could be worth experimenting
LW: Consistency would be important
+q
JG: Its not really two sub groups but just one flexible big one with 
convenient times
JN: We can put it in the survey, similar to the time question.
<agreement>
<scribe> ACTION: Meeting logistics to be worked out offline by Josh and 
James [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2012/01/23-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Meeting
Priorities of Work

JN: Should we look at ARIA side first? Or the HTML5 side?
<Loretta> q
JG: Some low hanging fruit would be ARIA, and HTML5 forms. So not an 
either or scenario. Devs will need guidance.
... Form a11y is number 1 prob on the web.
<jamesn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Techniques/HTML5
L: I'm not sure if we should approach by technlogy or subject error. 
It's going to be a challenge. There will be scripting techniques that 
need to be written.
JN: In the WCAG WG, there is a list of HTML5 techniques available.
... Also ARIA techniques?
L: It would be nice to pubish ARIA techniques
JN: We need to have techqniues for content that needs to adhere to WCAG.
L: There is a desire to work on HTML5 a11y techs.
... To avoid gaping holes.
<jamesn> JOC: on 1 level the HTML processes have been tough doing the 
work in the lion's den
<jamesn> JOC: At this stage they may even find the work we do useful - 
with gap analysis etc.
<jamesn> JOC: might be good to link in to some of those with influence 
within the HTML5 Ally task force
MC: Some housekeeping
JOC: There are some people who I can think of to take up different HTML5 
and ARIA aspects.
JN: People should work on areas of interest.
<jamesn> JOC: rather than picking on HTML5 or ARIA pick on something 
like forms and look at how the 2 technologies wortk together on these areas
<jamesn> JOC: developers in general don't really care whether ARIA or 
HTML5 etc. - they just want to do something
MC: We will have to deal with getting review from the parent working groups.
... We need a strategy for working between the WG, how items are reviewed.
JOC: Good point Michael.
JN: Will our materials be reviewed by both groups?
MC: Yes, nominally. The PF will have a light hand.
L: We will have to look at making the content fit the WCAG form.
JN: We can discuss this later.
... Most of use will need some training on how to write techs.
<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to talk about WG review process
JN: A draft class, or creating templates.
<MichaelC> Techniques page on WCAG wiki, includes link to instructions 
and template
JN: We have been discussing whether we will want to modify existing 
techniques or write new ones.
... Discussion of possibilities
L: This is interesting in cases where HTML4 and 5 are identical. There 
are also situation where the approach is different.
JN: There are also techs that aren't valid anymore.
... We will need a mix and match IMO.
L: We need to avoid document bloat.
JN: What's feasible Michael in the Quick Ref?
MC: Stacking is harder but we have preference for that.
... We shouldn't restrict ourselves based on how it currently is.
... The EAOG are discussing this at the moment and there may be a 
redesign. it is timely.
<MichaelC> EO plans for update of How to Meet WCAG 2.0
JN: We need to check that.
JOC: Yup
DMcD: We should do it in a couple of passes.
DMacD: Go fo the easy stuff first, and then make a pass at the applications.
JOC: Can we have a backchannel etc?
... It could be a bin for ideas.
<jongund> I have to go to another call
JN: Is [html-techs] good for mails to list etc?
<David_> ps Joshue... its DMacD (not McD) us Scottish background 
Canadians are sensitive about that stuff. :)
JOC: Will we be meeting weekly or bi-weekly?
MC: Thats a question for the survey.
... We should meet weekly.
JN: Agreed
<jamesn> RESOLUTION: we will use #html-techs-tf channel and the 
[html-techs] prefix for mails to mailing lists
JN: Thats it, please be vocal
<MichaelC> trackbot, end meeting
Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Meeting logistics to be worked out offline by Josh and 
James [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2012/01/23-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action01]

[End of minutes]
Received on Monday, 23 January 2012 18:10:38 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 23 January 2012 18:10:39 GMT