RE: Javascript fallbacks for drop down menus

Thanks Bruce... my thinking is along the same lines. The niggly issue for me
is in Conformance Criteria 2. That the "entire page" must be accessible, and
traditionally I believe the group has interpreted that a Conforming
Alternative page, is a replacement for the entire page, rather than a widget
or part of the page. Conformance is based on a "web page" and a web page is
defined in the spec as a single URL.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#webpagedef

To my knowledge, at least on the calls I've been on since 2002, we've never
really articulated a bright line on putting a conforming bit of
functionality at another URL ... (except longdesc of course). Maybe that's
for the better that we haven't made a statement on it ... because we
wouldn't want to see web sites forcing AT users to constantly bounce to
another page for conforming pieces of content, but on the other hand we
don't want to handcuff them to the URL of the original content because we'd
have no explanation for longdesc... etc...

I also appreciate Richard's comment about dropdown menus and magnifiers.
Just yesterday, a magnification user was showing me how difficult it was for
him to follow the flyouts on a drop down javscript menu...  but
interestingly, he did not feel comfortable going to the destination page of
the top menu item, to see the dropdown as regular links... he'd rather
wrestle with the menu.

We'd have to keep any advice avoid dropdowns as a best practice, I'd say...
because forbidding it, may be a bit too dogmatic and would represent a
change to our current WCAG.

Cheers

David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.