W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-gl@w3.org > April to June 2012

RE: MINUTES: 9 April 2012 WCAG HTML Techniques Task Forc Teleconference

From: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:57:18 -0400
Message-ID: <BLU0-SMTP838AC8D4E8A0360A956780FE3E0@phx.gbl>
To: "'Gunderson, Jon R'" <jongund@illinois.edu>, <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, "'WCAG'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
CC: "'Steve Faulkner'" <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>
I took an action to test jaws 13 on HTML5 page regions

 

I put header, article, nav, section, aside , footer, on an HTML5 page.

 

Firefox 11 recognized <article>, <nav> and <footer>, as landmarks 

IE9 recognized <aside>, <nav>

 

Cheers

David MacDonald

 

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.

  "Enabling the Web"

 <http://www.can-adapt.com/> www.Can-Adapt.com

 

From: Gunderson, Jon R [mailto:jongund@illinois.edu] 
Sent: April-09-12 12:46 PM
To: w3c-wai-pf@w3.org; WCAG
Subject: MINUTES: 9 April 2012 WCAG HTML Techniques Task Forc Teleconference

 

Link to minutes:

http://www.w3.org/2012/04/09-html-techs-tf-minutes.html 

 


HTML Techniques Task Force


09 Apr 2012


Agenda <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2012AprJun/0008.html>


See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2012/04/09-html-techs-tf-irc> 


Attendees


Present

Regrets

Bruce_Bailey, Joshue_O_Connor

Chair

James_Nurthen

Scribe

Jon


Contents


*	Topics
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/09-html-techs-tf-minutes.html#agenda>  

1.	332 <http://www.w3.org/2012/04/09-html-techs-tf-minutes.html#item01>

2.	Using HTML5 Section element
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/09-html-techs-tf-minutes.html#item02> 

*	Summary of Action Items
<http://www.w3.org/2012/04/09-html-techs-tf-minutes.html#ActionSummary> 

  _____  

<scribe> scribe: Jon

<MichaelC> scribeNick: jongund

JN: There were two items on the survey, and the people are not here who
proposed them
... We could send the minutes to them


332


LG: Maybe it is fine, but it could be a topic of discussion
... There is no way to find out the original placeholder

JN: AT could do that and maybe a plug-in
... I see your concern, whether it is correct or not

LG: Clearly meets the spirit when it is there

JN: Does WCAG require the label must be visible?

LG: Not directly
... This is definitely 3.3.2

JN: This is not a 3.3.1

LG: You still need a label for a screen reader, maybe it is a 3.3.5
technqiue
... It seems more like 332
... This type of example is in 3.3.2 techniques

JN: It should always be in combination with a label
... Provide descriptive labels and one of the following
... Are you happy with your concerns of the place holder label disappearing?

LG: yes

JN: JG: I am not sure

JG: I could try testing it

<jamesn> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-api-map/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

JN: There is a reference in the accessible description section to the use of
@placeholder
... Not sure if actually supported
... @placeholder can be used for example values
... @placeholder is an example

<jamesn> The placeholder attribute represents a short hint (a word or short
phrase) intended to aid the user with data entry. A hint could be a sample
value or a brief description of the expected format.

<jamesn> The placeholder attribute should not be used as an alternative to a
label.

LN: What could you use @placeholder for in WCAG 2.0, is the question

JN: @placeholder could be a visual lable and search button next to it
... Should be an HTML5 validation failure if you do not have a label
... Anything else on placeholder

<jamesn> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/htmltechs-20120409/results

<jamesn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_HTML5_section_elements


Using HTML5 Section element


https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/htmltechs-20120409/results#xsection

LG: Working on the test procedure would help with the technique

JG: Is that the proper use of ARTICLE?

LG: I not sure
... It is good if a test procedure can be used in isolation

Discuss this technique next week

JN: FTF meeting at Lyon, get more people involved
... Try to get some techniques written

LG: I will be there

JN: Josh will be there, I may be able to come

MC: People from other groups will be there, PF, Authoring

JN: The overlap ones are a big issue, there are mon/tues and thurs/fri

LG: I think we can make it a working session with an agenda, may attact
participation
... We would need to have a detailed draft agenda soon

JN: MC what are the timeline?

MC: There is a survey now, I am looking when it closes
... 30 April is the deadline
... Difficult to backout if things don't work

JN: Who will be attending

LG: having an agenda will help

MC: We have enough people to fill time, it is a question of people
participating

LG: Maybe we can get a discussion going

rrsagent draft, minutes

 
Received on Monday, 16 April 2012 17:58:09 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 16 April 2012 17:58:10 GMT