Re: link text 2.4.4

From: Detlev Fischer <fischer@dias.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:54:23 +0100
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Hi Adam,

If the context is only provided by the image, having just a title
attribute would be bad for visually impaired users working in their
own colour schemes or custom style sheets (background images will
disappear, no replaced text will be shown). Tool tips may still appear
but these do not scale and are not keyboard-accessible.

Regards,
Detlev

Quoting adam solomon <adam.solomon2@gmail.com>:

> Hi everyone
> Does 2.4.4 require there to be link text? Or, in cases where there is no
> link text (for instance a background image of text), a descriptive title
> attribute would suffice, since screen readers (at least Jaws that I know
> for sure) will read the title attribute when no text is present?

Detlev Fischer PhD
DIAS GmbH - Daten, Informationssysteme und Analysen im Sozialen
Geschäftsführung: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp

Telefon: +49-40-43 18 75-25
Mobile: +49-157 7-170 73 84
Fax: +49-40-43 18 75-19
E-Mail: fischer@dias.de

Anschrift: Schulterblatt 36, D-20357 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 58 167
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp