Re: Is highlighting a word a failure of 1.4.1 Use of color?

From: Detlev Fischer <fischer@dias.de>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 15:16:44 +0100
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
If highlighting is used for emphasis it means thast it carries meaning.
In that case it should be encoded in addition by some means other than
colour (such as <em> or <strong>).

The less important the emphasis, the less serious the violation. It
could be very marginal indeed.

Detlev

Am 03.11.2011 15:09, schrieb David MacDonald:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I got this email from a policy body the other day about highlighting a
> word or phrase... In my years on the calls I don’t recall any specific
> discussions about “highlighting” ... and the discussion turns around
> whether adding highlighting introduces a distinct new meaning... which
> is lost without that colour highlighting ... the understanding doc
> doesn’t discuss it... would anyone like to comment...?
>
> David MacDonald
>
> www.eramp.com <http://www.eramp.com>
>
> -----------
>
> Hi David
>

> Got into a discussion today about the use of colour to highlight a word
> in a phrase.Their contention was if you use a change in colour, you have
> to add something like <strong> as well.
>
> Example 1: "Sign up for our free courses." where "free" is red.
> Example 2: "Required fields are marked with *." where the sentence is in
> another colour.
>
> I said this was not a failure of SC 1.4.1, it seems like it is imposing
> an extra requirement on designers who want to use colour for adding
> extra style to their web pages.The highlight adds no function, has no
> other related meaning and appears to by used for stylistic purposes,
> when viewed without colour, the information is still available and no
> context is lost.

Detlev Fischer PhD
DIAS GmbH - Daten, Informationssysteme und Analysen im Sozialen
Geschäftsführung: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp

Telefon: +49-40-43 18 75-25
Mobile: +49-157 7-170 73 84
Fax: +49-40-43 18 75-19
E-Mail: fischer@dias.de

Anschrift: Schulterblatt 36, D-20357 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 58 167
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp