Re: 1.4.1 clarification

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:03:50 +0100
To: Gavin Thomas <Gavin.Thomas@uwe.ac.uk>
Cc: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, IG - WAI Interest Group List list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, GLWAI Guidelines WG org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Gavin Thomas <Gavin.Thomas@uwe.ac.uk> wrote:
> Say I have a link that is only visually evident from colour alone (has
> contrast ratio of at least 3:1) but that changes colour and shows an
> underline on focus this would meet
>
>         G183: Using a contrast ratio of 3:1 with surrounding text and
> providing additional visual cues on focus for links or controls where color
> alone is used to identify them
>
> F73 states:
>
> Note 1: If the non-color cue only happens when the mouse hovers over the
> link or when the link receives focus, it is still a failure.
>
> So this is clearly a failure (and a contradiction of g183)

I think you're misunderstanding something here.

F73 fails content where you cannot visually distinguish links from non-links.

G183 is a technique where you visually distinguish links by using a
sufficient contrast ratio that the user does not need good color
vision.

F73 Note 1 is saying that if you can only visually distinguish links
from non-links on hover/focus, it's still a failure. But if you follow
G183, then you have visually distinguished links even when not
hovered/focused, so you wouldn't fail.

G183 should be read as saying that even when links are unfocused, you
must use a contrast ratio of 3.1, *and* when they are focused, you
must also use additional visual cues. That's as opposed to reading it
as not imposing a requirement on unfocused links.

Does that make sense?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis