Re: 2.4.3, 1.3.2

From: Sailesh Panchang <spanchang02@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 20:03:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Loretta,
In principle, if you content:
>But the use of H4 is not required for SC 2.4.3...
Then why is it listed as a sufficient technique?
Adam,
Well in that example of groom and bride, without tabindex, one may content that reading order is meaningful. But if one navigates across fields row-wise, it does affect meaning or operation. As I said in my last email, the intent is not to compare first names but actually enter data into a form. I imagine most would want to be done with data for one person then  input data for the next. While filling out paper forms too,I'd complete the form for person#1 and then person#2 and not fill out first name for person#1 then jump to form for the other chap and fill out his first name. That is not logical. On a Web page the fields may be placed next to each other visually but they are meant to be navigated "logically" for person#1 and then #2. It is not the author's choice or reading  order... the author is constrained by layout / design and must use tabindex (h4) to ensure navigation does not affect operation.
Sailesh