From: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
Subject: RE: SC to cover changing widget - expanding
To: "'WCAG'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, jason@jasonjgw.net, adam.solomon2@gmail.com
Cc: "'adam solomon'" <adam.solomon2@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, July 29, 2011, 9:45 AM

I’m running across a lot of expanding pages during evaluations these days. The user checks a box (or a selection on a drop down). Suddenly the page expands with a bunch of extra content. We spoke briefly about it on the call yesterday and I didn’t feel there was much consensus on whether this is a failure or not.  Some said “as long as the extra content appears after the control that generated it, it’s ok.”Others said “as long as there is a notification on the control about the behaviour”Others said “we do not have a clear definition of what a ‘change of context is’”  When I brought up the question about a month ago, Jason said “these both seem to be cases in which 4.1.2 is not met. Certainly, it is exactly this kind of problem that 4.1.2 was intended to address, as I recall.”4.1.2 Name, Role, Value: ...and notification of changes to these items is available to user agents, including assistive technologies. (Level A)   I
 think “notification of changes to these items is available to user agents” covers it... but if the new values are available to the DOM, is there any requirement to “notify” the user, or warn them? So what do we think is necessary (sufficient) for these expanding widgets:  1) add title=”checking this will add content below”2) Or put aria-live on the new content.(Or both)3) Or is even a failure... if the focus does not change and the new content is below the control?  Let’s come to a consensus, because these types of controls are all over the place, and we have no clear direction currently.  David MacDonaldwww.eramp.com       From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Sailesh Panchang