Toolbox of HTML 5 widgets

As per our discussion today on the call, the Government of Canada has made a
major investment in a catalogue of what they feel are WCAG 2 compliant tools
and widgets using HTML 5, WAI ARIA, JavaScript, and CSS (Date pickers,
expandable menus, floating toolbars, Captcha, feedback forms, rounded
corners, multimedia player with CC, AD etc...) Each widget has downloadable
full code in HTML 5 or XHTML 1.0 Strict, along with working examples. There
are both English and French versions of each widget.

They would like to submit these to the WCAG 2.0 working group for inclusion
with our resources (understanding that this would take significant time), so
that organizations that do not have the money, resources or expertise for
accessibility, could simply download and use these widgets. They are
offering them to the W3C as a home, because they believe that it will give
those using them confidence that they are in fact compliant, and they are
looking for their broad acceptance. There are basically 40 widgets.

They call it the "Web Experience Toolkit" (WET)

Working widgets are here:

http://tbs-sct.ircan.gc.ca/projects/gcwwwtemplates/wiki/Working_examples?lan
g=eng

The home page for the project is here:

http://tbs-sct.ircan.gc.ca/news/650?lang=eng

Of course the question of our resources comes up... and there is some
discussion that they may be able to help provide some help with that.

Anyway, I'm passing this by the group to see if it something that we would
be interested in learning more about and discussing.

David MacDonald

www.eramp.com