Re: Audio Descriptions for Talking Heads

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Loretta Guarino Reid wrote:
>
> It sure seems to me that this kind of information doesn't need to be
> synchronized.
>
> right -but if not in the video - it is unlikely to travel with the video

Yes, but this is a different issue than whether the page meets WCAG
requirements.

> And a tool that added it to the beginning of a video would need to be very
> careful that it fixed up all the timestamps in any captions for the video.
>

> I was thinking it would just overlay / mix with the audio there so there
> would not be need for retiming.

Then it will need to be added to the captions, right? Either way, you'll
need to be careful of the captions.

> Wouldn't it suffice to set the stage in text associated with the video?
>

> Not really as good.  Doesn’t meet guidelines - and won't travel with the
> media.  but might work for a particular page....

 I'm inclined to agree with David that a solution like this should meet WCAG
for talking heads type videos. If all the visual information needed about a
video is contained in the descriptive identification required by SC 1.1.1,
and no synchronization is required, I think the Audio Description shouldn't
be necessary. No?