From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Vivienne CONWAY
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:44 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Introduction

Hi all

As a new member to the group, it has been suggested that I introduce myself,
so here goes.

I am a Ph.D student and sessional lecturer for the School of Computer and
Security Science at Edith Cowan University, here in sunny Perth, Western
Australia.  My  research topic involves website accessibility in Australia,
particularly as it relates to the new National Transition Strategy (NTS)
recently adopted by the Australian Government for all government websites.
The NTS is a staged transition plan that will see (hopefully) all government
websites transition to compliance with WCAG 2.0 Level A by December 2012 and
AA by December 2014.  While federal government websites must use the NTS,
other levels of government may choose their own strategy or use the NTS to
reach WCAG 2.0 A by the same time and are encouraged to achieve AA. All
other websites in Australia fall under the Australian Human Rights
Guidelines (Disability Discrimination Act) which says they must get to WCAG
2.0 AA by 2013.  (whew! what amouthful)

So, my interests at the moment are in how to accurately assess a website
against WCAG 2.0, how to determine the best tools and how to communicate
this best to the website owners.  I have been assessing various automated
tools and comparing the results, which is a really frustrating task.  Its
not just comparing apples and organges, it is throwing bananas into the mix!
I will be auditing 100 websites regularly over 2.5 years and monitoring
their progress (or lack thereof).  I use a hybrid approach to assessing
websites with a combination of automated tools, manual evaluation and user
evaluation as well as W3C html/css validation.

I hope that gives you a bit of an understanding both of what is happening in
Australia and what I'm up to.  I am really looking forward to my involvement
with this Working Group.  I know that at first I will be doing far more
learning than contributing, but I hope I can do some of that as well.
Thanks for having me.

Regards

Vivienne L. Conway

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not disclose or use the information contained within. If you have received
it in error please return it to the sender via reply e-mail and delete any
record of it from your system. The information contained within is not the
opinion of Edith Cowan University in general and the University accepts no
liability for the accuracy of the information provided.

CRICOS IPC 00279B