RE: Please send agenda items for this week

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bailey@Access-Board.gov>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:52:30 -0400
To: "Loretta Guarino Reid" <lorettaguarino@google.com>, "WCAG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, "Michael Cooper" <cooper@w3.org>
I would like ask if we could spend a few minutes at the top of the call
to a have a conversation about guidance we might provide to ensure
organizations trying to be WCAG compliant do not overly depend upon
something like an after-the-fact "text only" transformation algorithm to
claim they are dynamically providing conforming alternate versions.

This has been tried in the past of course, and the results are seldom
sufficient.  If anyone has good or bad implementation current examples,
I would appreciate those too.

The requirement is only that it "provides all of the same information
and functionality" but we do not tightly define those terms.

The understanding document states "that providing an alternate version
is a fallback option for conformance to WCAG and the preferred method of
conformance is to make all content directly accessible" but this is not
normative.

http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/conformance.html#uc-conforming
-alt-versions-head

If we need another common failure example or two, I am happy to
volunteer to draft those.

Thanks!