RE: 19 May 2011 Agenda =======================================

I think it's important to have this discussion... because there is a lot a
stake.

I tried doing Chris' Excel import of HTML content from a URI on the Mac, and
unless I missed something, it is not possible on Apple. Just works on the
Windows version of excel.

So unless there are a number of browsers can access content, or a free
plugin that works in a number of browsers, it is not web content?

The Excel viewer is free, but it is not a browser plugin.

So Loretta, would it be safe to say that if an excel file is downloaded from
the web, it is not web content unless some of the content within that file
is accessed from the web in real time (using this "get data from web")
function. Any other content in the Spreadsheet would not be web content? In
this case, the fact that Excel is being used as a User Agent to pull some of
the data, does not make the rest of the content web content.

Is this true for Word and PowerPoint files too?

The thing that messes me up about that is when you have an *.xls file online
(which has a URI such as this example
http://eramp.com/david/test_url_excel.xls ) right click and the option to
open directly (rather than "save as") is presented.

But maybe that is just a red herring... not sure.

David MacDonald

www.eramp.com