Re: Review comments on PDF17

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com> wrote:
>  (This is getting beyond typical review issues. Do we need to take this to survey?)

MHU: your call...

> Can we change the title to "Specifying consistent page numbering for PDF documents"? Shouldn't all PDF viewers interpret the page number formatting like Acrobat Pro and Reader, if they are supporting PDF /PageLabels properly?
>
> AWK: Sure, I can agree with this - it is the purpose of the technique after all...

MHU: OK. The thinking here was YMMV, that some tools might not
interpret the page numbering like Pro or Reader. But if Andrew's OK
with that, I am too.

> If this is correct, I recommend changing the description as well, to read:
>
> Many documents use specific page number formats within a document.
> Commonly, front matter is numbered with lowercase roman numerals. The main content, starting on the page numbered 1, may actually be the fifth or sixth page in the document. Similarly, appendices may begin with page number 1 plus a prefix of the appendix letter (e.g., "A-1").
> Authors should make sure that the page numbering of their converted documents is reflected in any page number displays in their user agent. Consistency in presenting the document's page numbers will help make navigating the document more predictable and understandable.
>
> The objective of this technique is to help users locate themselves in a document by ensuring that the page numbering displayed in the PDF viewer page controls has the same page numbering as the document. For example, Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader display page numbers in the Page Navigation toolbar. The page number format is specified by the /PageLabels entry in the Document Catalog.
>
> As an example, if /PageLabels has not been provided to describe the page number formatting, the page numbering scheme will not be reflected in the Page Navigation toolbar in Adobe Acrobat Pro or Reader. This toolbar displays the page number in a text box, which users can change to move to another page. In addition, users can select the arrows to move one page up or down in the document. The toolbar also displays the relative page number location. In the image below, the default display indicates the user is on page 1 of 4 pages.
>
> AWK: I'm comfortable with the change, and it seems less dramatic if we move the "The objective of this technique" paragraph back to being first as is the case for most techniques.

MHU: OK

>  I also suggest changing the title of Example 1 to:
> Editing PDF page number formatting specifications using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro
>
> AWK: Fine with me.

MHU: OK

> I don't think we need Microsoft Word in the title, but we should move the Word version number into the text of the example.
>
> AWK: The Word version isn't significant to the technique, so I'm not sure we should do that.

MHU: I don't understand Andrew's comment -- are you agreeing or
dis-agreeing? The current heading is the general format used in the
techniques, but if it's not appropriate here, OK.

> Is G61 really a related technique? I'm not seeing the connection.
>
> AWK: I don't remember the logic for that connection off-hand.  Maybe Mary does.  Agree that it seems tangential now.

MHU: Page numbers are a navigational component, esp. given the text
box that allows the user to enter a page number. So it seemed (to me
anyway)  to apply for SC 3.2.3.  G127/G128? Or is it just too much of
a stretch to try to map print page numbers to web pages?