Re: Query on technique H43

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 14:50:45 +0200
To: James Nurthen <james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Cc: Sailesh Panchang <spanchang02@yahoo.com>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 02:40:24PM -0700, James Nurthen wrote:

> Where in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#adef-headers does
> it state that the headers must be in the same table? I can't find

  It doesn't actually state that they must be. In theory, what your
  developers are doing COULD work, and wouldn't explicitly violate the
  specification: as long as a TH with an ID that matches the HEADERS
  list can be found, all is well.

  It's entirely illogical to divide up a data table, however.

  For a good argument I'd simply ask them whether or not ATs actually
  in use can handle TH/TDs divided into separate tables, but linked
  via IDs.

  I suspect the answer is that they can't, at which point theory need
  give way to practicality.

--
 Tina Holmboe            Greytower Technologies          www.greytower.net
  CEO                    Quality and Accessibility       www.sitesifter.co.uk