Query on technique H43

From: James Nurthen <james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:56:19 -0700
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Hi,
A team I am working with is using a technique I am unsure about to mark
up their data tables. They have their table split into 2 tables in the
HTML markup, one for the header row (which has been marked with
role=presentation) and one for the data content. They claim they need to
do this in order to obtain the visual layout they require.

The header cells in the first table have ids associated with them which
are then being referenced from the headers attribute of cells in the
second table.

I can't see any reference in H43 that the cells referenced as a header
must be in the same table so it would seem that this would pass 1.3.1
due to meeting H43. Is my interpretation of this correct? If this
shouldn't pass H43 I would appreciate the technique being clarified such
that this is made more clear.

--
Regards, James