Question about techniques for 3.3.2

From: Andi Snow-Weaver <andisnow@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:31:45 -0600
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

A member of my team has raised a question about the techniques for 3.3.2.

Specifically, in bullet 1, why is G83 allowed? This technique is saying
that it's okay to have required form fields that are not identified until
after the user has failed to enter any data. We have an HTML technique
(H90) that includes an example of including text in the <label> element to
indicate required fields. And we have a failure technique (F81) that says
you can't use color only to indicate the required fields. But we apparently
have nothing that requires required fields to be identified before the user
tries to submit a form.

Was this intentional or did we miss something? I guess you could
rationalize that if the required fields are not identified at all, then
it's not an accessibility issue. It's a usability issue for everyone. So
maybe that's why we don't require it.

Thanks,
Andi