W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-gl@w3.org > April to June 2010

RE: Minutes WCAG 24 June 2010

From: Boland Jr., Frederick E. <frederick.boland@nist.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:44:43 -0400
To: Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
CC: "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Message-ID: <D7A0423E5E193F40BE6E94126930C49307A567B68D@MBCLUSTER.xchange.nist.gov>

I also joined via IRC - name of "Tim" in IRC log - thanks - sorry I couldn't join by phone..
Thanks and best wishes, Tim Boland NIST
________________________________
From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Michael Cooper [cooper@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:11 PM
To: List WAI GL
Subject: Minutes WCAG 24 June 2010

Minutes of the 24 June 2010 WCAG meeting are posted to http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes and copied below.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
24 Jun 2010

Agenda<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2010AprJun/0066.html>

See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc>

Attendees

Present
Loretta_Guarino_Reid, Michael_Cooper, Andrew_Kirkpatrick, David_MacDonald, Bruce_Bailey, James_Nurthen, Sofia_Celic-Li, Ben_Caldwell, Gregg_Vanderheiden
Regrets
Andrew_LaHart, Marc_Johlic
Chair
Loretta_Guarino_Reid
Scribe
AWK
Contents

 *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes#agenda>
    *   Media Access Requirements<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes#item01>
    *   Survey for this week<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes#item02>
    *   Issue 2681: HTML Headings technique: duplicated<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes#item03>
    *   Issue 2710: How does 2.4.5 apply to this scenario?<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes#item04>
    *   Introduction to Understanding WCAG 2.0<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes#item05>
    *   Advisory Technique for SC 3.2.1, 3.2.5: Opening new windows and tabs only when best from an accessibility perspective<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes#item06>
    *   How to Meet WCAG 2.0<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes#item07>
    *   Review of editors drafts<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes#item08>
 *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-minutes#ActionSummary>

________________________________

Media Access Requirements

<MichaelC> HTML A11Y TF wiki developing media accessibility requirements<http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_Accessibility_Requirements>

<David> http://www.eramp.com/david/Media.html

Survey for this week

<MichaelC> Survey for 24 June 2010<http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20100624misc/results>

Issue 2681: HTML Headings technique: duplicated

<David> The objective of this technique is to use HTML and XHTML heading markup to convey the structure of the content and to use headings to create chunks of information that can be found easily by people with disabilities, such as a blind person using a screen reader, or a person with a cognitive disability who uses assistive technology that delineates groups of information, or someone with a...

<David> ...communication disability or illiteracy, who uses a screen reader to assist them in their reading.

<David> Using headings merely to change the appearance of text does not convey the organization of the content, and may confuse users who use headings to perceive structure or rely on them for navigation. Conversely, while applying bold format, or even "class=heading", can result in the visual display of a heading, assistive technologies will not recognize such text as headings.

<David> It is recommended that headings be presented in a hierarchical structure indicating top level section and subsections (i.e., h2 is a subsection of h1). Hierarchical presentation of heading markup is not always possible or practical for all design layouts and therefore not strictly required. However as a general rule, the most important information should be given the highest logical level,...

<David> ...and subsections should be give subsequent logical levels.

<scribe> ACTION: David to propose resolution for H69 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]

<trackbot> Sorry, amibiguous username (more than one match) - David

<trackbot> Try using a different identifier, such as family name or username (eg. dmacdona, dtodd2)

<scribe> ACTION: DMacdona to propose resolution for H69 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-98 - Propose resolution for H69 [on David MacDonald - due 2010-07-01].

RESOLUTION: Accept 2681 as amended

Issue 2710: How does 2.4.5 apply to this scenario?

RESOLUTION: Accept as proposed

Introduction to Understanding WCAG 2.0

RESOLUTION: Accepted as amended

Advisory Technique for SC 3.2.1, 3.2.5: Opening new windows and tabs only when best from an accessibility perspective

<Loretta> Giving users advanced warning when opening a new window

<scribe> ACTION: Dmacdona use example 4 to write up 'giving users advanced warning when opening a new window' [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-99 - Use example 4 to write up 'giving users advanced warning when opening a new window' [on David MacDonald - due 2010-07-01].

<Loretta> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2010/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20100617/G200

RESOLUTION: Reject new advisory technique

s/RESOLUTION: Reject new advisory technique in favor of modification of G200/RESOLUTION: Reject new advisory technique/

How to Meet WCAG 2.0

<scribe> ACTION: Andrew to send How to Meet wish list to Ben. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]

<trackbot> Sorry, amibiguous username (more than one match) - Andrew

<trackbot> Try using a different identifier, such as family name or username (eg. akirkpat2, alahart)

<scribe> ACTION: akirkpat2 to send How to Meet wish list to Ben. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-100 - Send How to Meet wish list to Ben. [on Andrew Kirkpatrick - due 2010-07-01].

Review of editors drafts

<MichaelC> Flash techniques<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20-TECHS/flash>

<MichaelC> ARIA techniques<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20-TECHS/aria>

<scribe> ACTION: akirkpat2 to send michael rundown of files and what to link to for each technique [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-101 - Send michael rundown of files and what to link to for each technique [on Andrew Kirkpatrick - due 2010-07-01].

<MichaelC> Tracker items<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/track/agenda>

<MichaelC> Updated participants list<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/participants.html>

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: akirkpat2 to send How to Meet wish list to Ben. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]
[NEW] ACTION: akirkpat2 to send michael rundown of files and what to link to for each technique [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]
[NEW] ACTION: Andrew to send How to Meet wish list to Ben. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]
[NEW] ACTION: David to propose resolution for H69 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]
[NEW] ACTION: DMacdona to propose resolution for H69 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]
[NEW] ACTION: Dmacdona use example 4 to write up 'giving users advanced warning when opening a new window' [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/06/24-wai-wcag-irc]

[End of minutes]
________________________________
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version 1.133 (CVS log<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2010/06/24 23:11:05 $

--

Michael Cooper
Web Accessibility Specialist
World Wide Web Consortium, Web Accessibility Initiative
E-mail cooper@w3.org<mailto:cooper@w3.org>
Information Page<http://www.w3.org/People/cooper/>
Received on Friday, 25 June 2010 12:46:41 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 25 June 2010 12:46:51 GMT