Re: Tech G19

Hi Roberto

the comment is correct but poorly worded.  We will need to fix that

  at level A you need to pass the General and Red Flash Thresholds.

these thresholds give you the option.

EITHER
- don't flash more than 3.5 times in any one second period
OR
- the flash must be smaller or dimmer than a threshold.

At level AAA it says that you must no flash more than 3.5 times in any
one second period.  Period.

Technique G19 says - just don't flash less than 3.5 time in any one
second period.      This will indeed pass both the Level A and the
Level AAA Success criteria.  But it is more strict than Level A
requires (since level A does allow more than 3.5 flashes if they are
small or low contrast enough.

Also the word "failure" is confusing since it is referring to things
that would fail the thresholds - but it makes you think it is talking
about the "common failures"

So we should change the note to read something like

Note 1: This technique is stricter than the Level A Success Criteria
since the Level A success criteria 2.3.1 allows more than 3.5 flashes
in one second if they are small or low contrast enough.
But having no more than 3.5 flashes within any one second period would
meet
the Level A success criteria  (and the Level AAA success criteria
2.3.2 as well).
It is also much easier to test. Most content does not flash at all and
even content that blinks does not blink this fast except on rare
occasions.
Therefore, in order to avoid having to carry out the more complex
testing
specified by the Level A Success Criteria 2.3.1, one could follow this
technique
and ensure that content only flashes one, two, or at most three times
in any 1-second
period.

Thanks for catching this.

Gregg