Re: 4.1.1 question, not clearly documented

At 00:25 20/02/2009, Cynthia Shelly wrote:
>I couldn't find a definitive answer to this question by looking at
>the 4.1.1 text or failures.
>
>If a page has a doctype of XHMTL 1.0 and includes an IMG or INPUT
>tag that isn't self-closing, does it pass 4.1.1?
>
><input type="text"> is allowed in HTML
><input type="text" /> would be expected in XHTML
>
>BUT, it's not entirely clear whether
><input type="text"> in XHTML passes.  I don't believe it causes any
>problems, it's still parseable by user agents, but I'm not sure if it violates
>"elements have complete start and end tags, elements are nested
>according to their specifications,"

The input element is an empty element type. The only way it can have
complete start and end tags, in my opinion, is by having both a start
and an end tag, so <input type="text"></input> or <input type="text"
/>. (The latter is recommended by XHTML 1.0's HTML compatibility
guidelines: <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_2>.

Best regards,

Christophe

--