Re: Silent / Hidden Automatically Updating Information

Bruce,
I too strongly feel that this is completely covered by 4.1.2.
If the content is placed off-screen via CSS, then it is not available to sighted users too. In fact it may be discoverable  by screen reader users!
If it is updating content available to all users, then it can  be assigned a landmark (ARIA) or other structural markup (heading tag).
Sailesh Panchang
Work: 703-225-0380 ext 105
Cell 571-344-1765
www.deque.com