From: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@exchange.microsoft.com>
Subject: Action 19:  discouraging image replacement
To: "List WAI GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Date: Thursday, April 2, 2009, 9:27 PM

I had an action item [1] to discourage the use of image
replacement, and encourage the use of real text.

Add to C30, at the end of the description:

Please note that it is a better practice to use real text, which
the user agent can resize and re-color, rather than images of text.  While
this technique does meet the success criterion, it will be less usable for some
users than providing real text.

While looking at this, I also noticed that C30 is about
allowing users to customize the image of text.  Since customization is an
exception in 1.4.5 that is not in 1.4.9, I think that C30 should not be
sufficient for 1.4.9.  What do others think of this?

Thanks,

Cynthia

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/Group/track/actions/19