Style sheet switcher (was RE: technique drafts)

At 11:25 8/01/2008, Christophe Strobbe wrote:

>Hi Cynthia,
>
>At 22:41 7/01/2008, Cynthia Shelly wrote:
>>(...)
>>I have questions on these
>>* Cynthia to create technique for swapping style sheet. I think
>>this technique is the same one: Using JavaScript to change the link texts [3]
>
>I'd rather treat these as two different techniques.
>In HTML, link text is what you put between the <a ...> and </a>
>tags, but a <link rel="stylesheet" ... /> element doesn't have link
>text. The separation of these techniques would also enable the
>choice of technique titles that tell you what to expect, instead of
>a vague one that tries to cover both ("Using JavaScript to change
>link properties"?).

In my previous response, I had not checked the background of the
action item: it came from a discusion on hiding link text (issues
2008 and 2325 in our previous draft:
<http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/20071025link/results#x2008>; see
SC 2.4.4 Link Purpose (In Context)).
However, a seperate style sheet switcher technique would also be
relevant to some other SCs, like 1.4.8 - Visual Presentation.
(Style sheet switchers can be implemented on the client side - e.g.
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/> - or on the server
side - e.g.
<http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200608/build_your_own_php_style_sheet_switcher/>,
<http://mikecherim.com/gbcms_xml/news_page.php?id=12> - or on the
client side with a servers-side fallback:
<http://www.glennyonemitsu.com/blog/2007/02/graceful-degradation-with-style-switching/>).

Best regards,

Christophe