From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Chris Blouch
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:21 AM
To: David MacDonald
Cc: 'Andrew Kirkpatrick'; 'Gregg Vanderheiden'; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: : multimedia - Synchronized Media

Are audio and video the only types? What if I have just a slide show? What
about some data visualization widgets? In other words, with only slight
changes could the section be generalized to cover future cases?

--------
Synchronized Media
A set of one or more media types which are synchronized to a common timeline
such that interaction is coordinated between the members.
--------

Or is the scope of work purposely specific to just cover audio/video?

CB

David MacDonald wrote:

Andrew, I agree that we need the equivalents that you mention. The problem I
have is with the wording of the sentence not with what we are trying to say.
It seems like we are saying

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1)      <!--[endif]-->Audio with time-based
interactive OR

<!--[if !supportLists]-->2)      <!--[endif]-->Video with time-based
interactive

It needs to be clear that it also means:

<!--[if !supportLists]-->3)      <!--[endif]-->Video with Audio

Perhaps we are saying that time based interactive includes audio or video
but I don't think this is clear. Perhaps something like this.

Synchronized Media

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1)      <!--[endif]-->Audio with corresponding
video displayed at the same time. 2) Audio or video displayed at the same
time as other time-based content and/or with time-based interactive
component that is required for understanding or use of the complete
presentation.

Note: The "other time-based content" that the audio or video is synchronized
with to meet this definition does not include equivalents such as captions,
subtitles, or video description.

access empowers people...

        ...barriers disable them...

www.eramp.com