Re: bug in Web Page definition

From: Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 11:15:58 +1100
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 01:30:56PM -0500, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

> Web Page
>

> a non-embedded resource [obtained] from a single URI [using HTTP] plus any
> other resources that are used in the rendering or intended to be rendered
> together with it by a user agent
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/#useragentdef>
>

> Comments?

By this proposal, the very same resource can be a Web page if I obtain it via
HTTP, but not a Web page if it is on my local file system, acquired via an
NFS-mounted remote file system, etc.

What's the problem this is trying to solve? Resources obtained by ftp
generally aren't rendered by a user agent; they are saved to a local file
system. If they are rendered by a user agent, then surely they should count as
Web pages (e.g., a collection of HTML documents on an ftp site).

Resources referred to by the Mailto: URI scheme aren't rendered by a user
agent; they are used to send mail, not to receive it.

Thus I don't understand the problem which this is trying to address.