Technique H49: screen reader support for sub and sup

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:36:11 +0200
To: wcag <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hi,

Technique H49 (Using semantic markup to mark emphasized or special
text), which is currently not associated with a success criterion,
contains an example with sub and sup elements. Sub and sup are also
in the test procedures.
However, I just read in a report on accessibility of mathematics and
science that screen readers can't tell the difference between sub and
a Braille display, namely as "an".
I think we should do some tests for screen reader support (both
Braille and speech), and possibly adapt the user agent and assistive
technology support notes.

Best regards,

Christophe

--