Re: "commercial websites that have adopted symbolic based accessibility"

John,

I didn't say "we shouldn't talk about these sites in terms of full
WAI accessibility"
I said
"(I) won't comment on their WAI accessibility, as that could
embarrass both parties"

the fact is that if one has a budget or desire to develop illustrated
resources, whether for children or adults, one is bound to consider
the authoring tools available and the results produced.

Flash tools are often chosen.

I've chosen to use SVG, but that requires much greater patience and
more dedication than most will have at the  present time. Are you for
instance aware that SVG1.1 the spec that most current implementations
rely on does not include keyboard navigation>
I spent nearly three years badgering Safari, Opera and Mozilla  to
include keyboard support, outside of WAI.
I was successful, they broke the specification... but it was a huge
task.

I am in total agreement regarding the difficulties, but the fact
remains that WAI & WCAG has  at least as far to travel in developing
their understanding of the issues.  in 2004, I asked Judy and the
chairs of P&FWG to let me participate as a member, I have renewed the
request over the past three years and am still awaiting a response.
Their lack of interest, directly led to me leaving WAI at that time.

Yesterday I agreed a t a lunch meeting to file bug reports with UA
developers to provide a dialogue that enables Flash to be disabled.
When instituted this should meet some of your concerns regarding Disney.

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd