RE: Not described in words

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 07:26:48 -0400
To: "Loretta Guarino Reid" <lorettaguarino@google.com>
Cc: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> I'm not sure why you think this isn't such an example. A mouse button is just another key.

Because unlike 508, WCAG does not have hardware standards, so equivocating buttons on mouse with buttons on a keyboard is just wrong.  We already know that a mouse provides "time-dependent analog input" for positioning movement, so pointing out that the mouse buttons cans can also be used in a time-dependent fashion I just don't think is all that helpful (sorry).

Here's the current wording for 2.1.1 again:

<q>All functionality of the content is operable through a keyboard interface without requiring specific timings for individual keystrokes, except where the underlying task requires time-dependent analog input.</q>

It is quite obvious that the "specific timings for individual keystrokes" bit applies to the keyboard interface (not "other" keys).  Aside from games, what are some examples of content that, in violation of 2.1.1, would require specific timings for individual keystrokes?

If we cannot think of any, why have that clause?