W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-gl@w3.org > January to March 2007

RE: A few issues with the proposed definition of contrast

From: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:08:56 +0000
To: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, 'Christophe Strobbe' <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>, "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Message-ID: <7261AC2A5F73904CA41773C8F00813FF1C670E63@EA-EXMSG-C309.europe.corp.microsoft.com>

If this includes the fact that the user set the window size before they navigated to the page and thus the initial rendering might be the one which has the problem, then OK.

This however is not what the current provision says.


Sean Hayes
Standards and Policy Team
Accessible Technology Group
Microsoft
Phone:
  mob +44 7977 455002
  office +44 117 9719730

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Gregg Vanderheiden
Sent: 12 March 2007 14:31
To: 'Christophe Strobbe'; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: A few issues with the proposed definition of contrast



Yes
- one method is to make sure that the worst case passes  (Standard
procedure)

Another is to not do that

Another is to make sure that it doesn't fail unless the user does something
- -and that they could move the text back off the fail area to read it if they need to (and they know they can since they put it there).


Gregg
 -- ------------------------------
Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.



> -----Original Message-----
> From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org
> [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Christophe Strobbe
> Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 6:47 AM
> To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
> Subject: Re: A few issues with the proposed definition of contrast
>
>
>
> At 03:01 11/03/2007, Loretta Guarino Reid wrote:
> >(...)
> >GV: The background would be what is immediately surrounding the
> >letter in the author defined presentation.   It the user scales the
> >font or changes the background etc, then the author is not
> responsible
> >under this guideline.
> >
> >Sean: HTML and similar technologies are too fluid to consider there
> >being a single "author defined presentation", there are many things
> >that cause text to move wrt. its background, scrolling, resizing the
> >viewport etc. - is the author relieved from responsibility
> when these
> >happen? I'd guess you'd say not, but then it outlaws any scrolling
> >container with a border.
> >
> >
> >I don't understand your argument about scrolling. Is it that
> scrolling
> >doesn't guarantee any visual break between the scrolled
> content and the
> >border? In general, scrolling doesn''t change the background and
> >foreground colors.
>
> Imagine that you have assigned different colours to paragraphs and to
> heading levels (h1 red, h2 blue, etc), and that you have a background
> image that does not scroll (CSS:
> background-attachment: fixed). When the user scrolls the text,
> different colours will move over the background image, resulting in
> different levels of contrast.
> I'm not sure if this is what Sean had in mind.
>
> I assume you would need to find the lowest contrast level that could
> occur in this situation, and that this contrast determines pass or
> fail.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christophe
>
>
> --
> Christophe Strobbe
> K.U.Leuven - Departement of Electrical Engineering - Research Group on
> Document Architectures Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 -
> 3001 Leuven-Heverlee - BELGIUM
> tel: +32 16 32 85 51
> http://www.docarch.be/
>
>
> Disclaimer: http://www.kuleuven.be/cwis/email_disclaimer.htm
>
>
>
Received on Monday, 12 March 2007 15:09:08 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:47:49 GMT