Re: A few issues with the proposed definition of contrast

At 03:01 11/03/2007, Loretta Guarino Reid wrote:
>(...)
>GV: The background would be what is immediately surrounding the
>letter in the author defined presentation.   It the user scales the
>font or changes the background etc, then the author is not
>responsible under this guideline.
>
>Sean: HTML and similar technologies are too fluid to consider there
>being a single "author defined presentation", there are many things
>that cause text to move wrt. its background, scrolling, resizing the
>viewport etc. - is the author relieved from responsibility when
>these happen? I'd guess you'd say not, but then it outlaws any
>scrolling container with a border.
>

>I don't understand your argument about scrolling. Is it that
>scrolling doesn't guarantee any visual break between the scrolled
>content and the border? In general, scrolling doesn''t change the
>background and foreground colors.

Imagine that you have assigned different colours to paragraphs and to
heading levels (h1 red, h2 blue, etc), and that you have a background
image that does not scroll (CSS: background-attachment: fixed). When
the user scrolls the text, different colours will move over the
background image, resulting in different levels of contrast.
I'm not sure if this is what Sean had in mind.

I assume you would need to find the lowest contrast level that could
occur in this situation, and that this contrast determines pass or fail.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
K.U.Leuven - Departement of Electrical Engineering - Research Group