RE: Not described in words

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 12:05:58 -0500
To: "Slatin, John M" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Cc: "WCAG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I agree with you, John, that the disagreement is deeper than the definition of discern.  In any case, a discussion over 1194.21(a) is less time sensitive than one on SC 2.1.1.

I agree that 1194.21(a) is oriented towards output ("result of performing a function").  It is really a happy coincidence that textually discernable output correlates so strongly to keyboard accessible input, so I also agree it is desirable to focus SC 2.1.1 *only* on input.  As I readily admitted in my first email on this thread, 1194.21(a) can be interpreted to not be applicable to many operations that are readily available from the keyboard.  I rather dislike being in the position to argue against the necessity to make things accessible!

I agree that the concept of time-dependency (John, you referred to "duration") is *already* incorporated into the definition of analog.  (Digital, by contrast, strongly implies a certain timelessness quality.)

> If we're concerned that people may not know what analog input means,

That is a potentially serious problem.  Despite contributions from Gregg, Andi, and Sean, the term was not enthusiastically received when discussed by a group of subject matter experts.  Please read the following thread and judge for yourself.  Of course, with time, perhaps those folk will warm up to the term...
http://teitac.org/mailarchives/mail_thread.php?thread=525

> maybe we can remove it from the SC and replace it with something like:
> ... Except where analog input is required -- that is, when
> output must be directly proportional to the input"

I think that is *much* better.  I think *all* the timing issues belong cleanly in Guideline 2.2.