RE: SC 2.1.1 and server-side image maps

Hello Gregg,

At 02:04 9/02/2007, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

>Content always applies to the Web Page, not to individual parts of it.

OK, but we must be aware for the implications of this for SC 4.2.2
(bullet 1): "If content can be entered using the keyboard, then the
content can be exited using the keyboard," or in the editors' draft:
"If focus can be moved to content using a keyboard interface, then
focus can be moved away from that content using only a keyboard
interface, and the method for doing so is described before the
content is encountered and in a way that meets all Level 1 success criteria."
I thought this should apply not only to the "web page" considered as
a whole (i.e. you can enter the page and exit before interacting with
any of the components in it), but also to each of the individual
parts (text, image, Flash/Java object, ... so if you can enter an
embedded Java applet using the keyboard, you can also exit it). Even
if "content" does not apply to individual parts of web pages, this is
an SC that can be met only if each of the individual parts (that can
be entered using the keyboard) also meet it, but a server-side image
map can't meet SC 2.1.1 by itself: it is the page that meets the SC
by providing redundant text links for this specific "individual part".

>The SC apply to Web pages.
>
>CS image maps are not mentioned because we don't have specific requirements
>for them.  We could include some examples to show some ways of handling our
>requirements but we don't have a way that you must use.

My mistake: I meant server-side image maps instead of client-side ones.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
K.U.Leuven - Departement of Electrical Engineering - Research Group