SC 4.1.1

From: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:08:48 +0000
To: WCAG-WG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I just noticed the failure #28 for this SC. I do not believe we can use this as it stands. While there has been some work on canonical XML, I am not aware of any such work for HTML; thus there is no single 'correct' DOM representation of an HTML document.

Furthermore I think the SC as it stands is erroneous; being able to parse to a single datastructure is not the definition of whether a sentence in a language is ambiguous.
A) It is common to use single datastructures (e.g. a linked list) to represent ambiguous languages, and B) You cannot force a single data structure on browser manufacturers (even if one existed).

Sean Hayes
Standards and Policy Team
Accessible Technology Group
Microsoft