Re: Comments on Alternate Versions Notes

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 17:03:58 +0200
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hi list,

At 13:04 7/06/2007, Andi Snow-Weaver wrote:
>Here are my comments on the Alternate Versions Conformance Requirement:
>Under Option 1:
>- Disadvantages: To the user, it could be difficult to find the link to the
>conforming version

This is an argument against allowing non-conforming pages with alternative
versions, rather than an argument against the other options (which is fine
by me).

>Under Option 3::
>- User Advantages: For the user, it is easy to find the alternate version
>when navigating the website because links to both versions are in the same

Not necessarily: the current text allows that "there is *a* common page ..."
(emphasis added), not that every link to a non-conforming page is accompanied
by a link to the conforming alternative.
The only technique listed for option 3 recommends "having a page *somewhere*
in the conformance scope...", but it needn't be easy to find. Even an orphaned
page would make a site conform. So if you land on the non-conforming version
after following a link from outside...
Moreover, there is currently no requirement that the link to the conforming
version should be close to the link to the non-conforming version, and that is
yet another reason to scrap option 3.

>Also, this is an improvement over the current situation where
>authors can provide the links to accessible versions in some obscure page
>on the website that users will not be able to find even when navigating the
>website and encountering the non-conforming version.

I disagree, for reasons given above.

I submitted another argument against option 3 last month:

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee