RE: Editorial Survey #1 is up

From: Bailey Bruce <Bailey@Access-Board.gov>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 09:57:41 -0400
To: "Loretta Guarino Reid" <lorettaguarino@google.com>
Cc: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Bruce, do you know of web sites that contain alternate versions of
files?

I think the VA site Andi brought up is not untypical.

Here's the index page:
http://www1.va.gov/opa/fact/

As an example I pick the first document on that list.  The exercise is
to try and find the HTML version from the PDF file name or title.  I was
successful with all of the following.  The "filter=0" on the Google
query is the same as "repeat the search with the omitted results
included", otherwise either the Word or PDF version do not turn up.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/va_search.jsp?QT=gersrch

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/va_search.jsp?QT="Research+in+VA+Geria
trics+Centers+of+Excellence%22

http://www.google.com/search?q=gersrch+site:va.gov&filter=0

http://www.google.com/search?q="Research+in+VA+Geriatrics+Centers+of+Exc
ellence%22&filter=0

I believe this satisfies Sufficient Techniques 7:  Ability to find the
non-conforming version by searching the domain using only the root of
the filename in the URI of the non-conforming page or the web page title
if that is readily accessible from the non-conforming page.

I am of the opinion we should delete the closing conditional phrase
here, "if that is readily accessible from the non-conforming page",
because there are multiple ways to get the title outside of the
non-conforming page.