RE: Audio background amendment

From: Bailey Bruce <Bailey@Access-Board.gov>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 08:26:05 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I concur that phrasing like "setting the volume to zero" is awkward.
How about:

1.4.1 Audio Turnoff:  If any audio plays automatically for more than 3
seconds, either a mechanism is available to pause or stop the audio, or
eliminate</ins> audio volume which can be set independently of the
system volume.

Actually, is *reducing* audio volume necessary (for Level 1).  Isn't
merely the ability to *mute* volume enough?  And if we do want to
require "setting the volume to zero" -- How is that really different
than pause/stop the audio?  If they are all the same, 1.4.1 can be
simplified:

1.4.1 Audio Turnoff:  If any audio plays automatically for more than 3
seconds, a mechanism is available to pause, stop, or mute the audio.