CSS generated content and document tree

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:23:37 +0200
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

In yesterday's telecon, there was a discussion about whether
CSS-generated content (especially if it is not purely decorative)
should be a failure or not.
In the section on "Generated content, automatic numbering, and lists"
of the current last call working draft of CSS 2.1, I found the
following statement: "Generated content does not alter the document
tree. In particular, it is not fed back to the document language
processor (e.g., for reparsing)."
The current CSS 2 specification says the same thing
(<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#content>; just before section 12.3).
This seems to me an important difference with DOM scripts that add
content, and we should keep this in mind in future discussions.

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe
K.U.Leuven - Departement of Electrical Engineering - Research Group
on Document Architectures
tel: +32 16 32 85 51