W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-gl@w3.org > April to June 2007

RE: Open action items from Feb and March

From: Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:16:10 +0100
To: Loretta Guarino Reid <lorettaguarino@google.com>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Message-ID: <7261AC2A5F73904CA41773C8F00813FF1F538529@EA-EXMSG-C309.europe.corp.microsoft.com>
ACTION: Sean and Christophe to find formulation of electronic text that a user agent can look at and know what it is - pronounce it etc. based on Unicode [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/01-wai-wcag-irc ]


Here is what we came up with.


Electronic text is defined as the digitally codified form of a member of the set of possible products of a writing system.



A writing system is conceptual system, a specific form of symbolic communication used to render a spoken language into more permanent form; the mechanism of codification involving the assignment of a unique code point to each distinct grapheme used in the writing system. Unicode being one such widely used codification.



The term spoken language means either a naturally formed language or dialect such as English, Japanese etc.; or an artificial language which can be mapped onto such language, for example a program in C++.



A grapheme is the abstract concept of the atomic parts of a writing system, which is the general form of the more common concept of 'character', but graphemes should not be confused with glyphs which are specific renderings of a grapheme. There may be many different allographic variations of renderings of the same grapheme, and some graphemes have no renderings of their own, but serve to control the rendering of other graphemes in context.



Note that Unicode code points have been assigned for many but not all of the worlds writing systems, and also to other kinds of symbolic systems, such as math notations, which are not writing systems (although some math notations may be artificial languages). There also exist other commonly used coding systems such as ASCII, and JIS X 0208/0212 (most, but not all of which are subsets of Unicode).



Note also that an arrangement of glyphs may be used to convey information using some convention which is not part of a writing system, such as so called 'ASCII Art', 'emoticons' and others.



Thus a sequence of code-points from an identified encoding is usually, but not always, electronic text.


Sean Hayes
Standards and Policy Team
Corporate Accessiblity Group
Microsoft
Phone:
  mob +44 7977 455002
  office +44 117 9719730

From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Loretta Guarino Reid
Sent: 30 March 2007 17:11
To: WCAG
Subject: Open action items from Feb and March

I'll be sending out individual messages to action item owners. If some of these have already been closed, please let me know.

Loretta

3/29
ACTION: All to submit relevant examples [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/29-wai-wcag-irc ]
ACTION: Loretta to write advisory technique for 1.3.1 and 2.4.5 that reads:"provide labels for all user interface controls except xxx", and write response to 654 that says:"names required in 4.1.2 and labels are recommended in 1.3.1 and 2.4.5"

3/15
ACTION: Ben to fix test New Technique: Using .htaccess to ensure that the only way to access non-conforming content is from conforming content , so that it meets the technique no the SC, and tweak for readability entire techniques [recorded in http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2007/03/15-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action05 ]
ACTION: Ben to update contrast examples, put labels on simulations on Trace web site [recorded in http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2007/03/15-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action02 ]
ACTION: cynthia , ben, David to look at new SC for text to be programatically determined ...to look at it and bring it back [recorded in http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2007/03/15-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action08 ]
ACTION: david and becky sort out example 1 and 3 to clean up language [recorded in http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2007/03/15-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action06 ] (Failure of 1.3.1 due to using changes in text presentation to convey information without using the appropriate markup or text)
ACTION: David rewrite response to 947 to change wording without the meaning [recorded in http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2007/03/15-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action04 ]
ACTION: David, Michael and ben (ping Sean) to work on 1183 contrast on gradients [recorded in http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2007/03/15-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action01 ]
ACTION: Gregg and John to review Sean's concerns in the how to meet for 1.1.1 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2007/03/15-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action07 ]


3/8
ACTION: David to combine F2 and F64 into a general failure, with assistance from Sean and Ben [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/08-wai-wcag-irc ]
ACTION: David to prepare this technique as an advisory technique [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/08-wai-wcag-irc] ( Describing errors and creating a mechanism that allows users to jump to them)
ACTION: John to add "people with CLLD who" in benefits; also update intent and benefits sections for other SC [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/08-wai-wcag-irc ]
ACTION: Michael to write up technique "Separating information and structure from presentation to enable modification of presentation without altering content" for 1201 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/08-wai-wcag-irc]
ACTION: sean and gregg to talk about background [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/08-wai-wcag-irc ]
ACTION: to reformat the note as a definition ( User-controllable data)

3/1
ACTION: Gregg to think of a new example [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/01-wai-wcag-irc ] (LC-1413)
ACTION: Sean and Christophe to find formulation of electronic text that a user agent can look at and know what it is - pronounce it etc. based on Unicode [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/03/01-wai-wcag-irc ]

2/15
ACTION: Loretta, Sean, and John to work on 1.4.2 to address the Flash scenario John raised [recorded in http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2007/02/15-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action06 ]
ACTION: Sean and Loretta to check on technical feasibility of doing captions internationally

2/8
ACTION: Don, Loretta, Sean, David, Andi to take issue 507 and user contributed content and come back with a proposal (or at least progress report) by Feb 15 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/02/08-wai-wcag-irc]
ACTION: Don, Sean, Loretta, David, Andi, Gregg to meet and sreview Aggregated Content (LC-464, LC-1222, and LC-1318) to determine if a better proposal is possible (or at least progress report) by Feb 15 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/02/08-wai-wcag-irc]
ACTION: Michael to create a document about testing WCAG to be part of the support materials (related to issue LC-648). [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/02/08-wai-wcag-irc ]

2/1
ACTION: Michael, Cynthia, Ben, Tim to consider comments on 1.4.5 item 1 and all of its techniques and to straighten out the logic of the sufficient techniques section. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/02/01-wai-wcag-irc ]
ACTION: same committee (Michael, Cynthia, Ben and Tim) to look at 1.4.6 for common issues with 1.4.5 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/02/01-wai-wcag-irc ]
Received on Wednesday, 4 April 2007 19:16:36 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:47:50 GMT