RE: WCAG 2.0 Conformance Proposals for 30 November 2006

Hmmm

This is indeed an important point.  The problem with the approach suggested
is that for plug-ins etc non-discriminatory means that the cost for people
with disabilities is the same as for those without.  So
accessibility-enabled plug-ins should be the same cost and availability as
non-accessibility enabled plug-ins.

But for AT the cost to people WITHOUT disabilities is $0.  There is no way
to have the cost for people with disabilities be $0 for their AT. (would be
nice.)  And I don't think we want to say that if people with out
disabilities can access it without AT then people with disabilities should
be able to access it without needing AT.

So the non-discrimination approach doesn't quite work for the AT end of
things.

Gregg
Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.