Re: Failure of SC 1.3.1 due to summary attribute in layout tables

From: Livio Mondini <livio.mondini@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 00:16:06 +0100
To: jim@jimthatcher.com
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

2006/11/19, Jim Thatcher <jim@jimthatcher.com>:
> "Information and relationships conveyed through presentation can be
> programmatically determined." I don't think it says the dual, that

Another point: in
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20060427/Overview.html#H73>:
"The purpose of a layout table is simply to control the placement of
content; the table itself is "transparent" to the user. A summary
would "break" this transparency by calling attention to the table"

For a screen reader every table is not transparent. When a table is
found, data or layout is indifferent, Jaws describe the table. I I
think that removing summary in this case is an error, a lack of
informational support for blind users.

Livio