RE: Summary of font subgroup F2F discussion

From: Sofia Celic <Sofia.Celic@visionaustralia.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:13:47 +1100
To: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Hi,

Sorry, I used the word "icon" which could be a bit misleading since it is mostly though of as an image. The particular situation I had in mind was a series of the text letter "A" links.

Using images with appropriate text alternatives may be better in regard to being able to describe the purpose of the image link. However, not all browsers display the alt text on mouse over; not all users use a mouse; it is unreasonable to expect users to turn images off to access alt text (IMHO) and I don't believe anyone would turn images off for this reason. Also if the text can be resized by the user agent then the images may not be representing the size accurately.

Text phrase links are probably the most suitable that I can think of at this point in time.

Sofia