Re: Summary of font subgroup F2F discussion

Hi all,

On 07/11/06, Ben Caldwell <caldwell@trace.wisc.edu> wrote:
> The following link includes a few notes from last week's face to face
> subgroup discussion regarding the issues related to text resizing. It
> includes notes and references to the issues we've received on this topic
> as well as an initial proposal for addressing them.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yae9ge
>
> I'm sure there are techniques to add and feedback on these proposals is
> welcome.

I know this has been discussed already, but I think the proposed level
2 success criterion to go under 1.4 is a user agent issue (Checkpoint
4.1 in UAAG [1]). I also appreciate that although it's a user agent
issue, it's still good guidance all the time IE 6 is popular and
unable to resize text.

Something that would be good to include a success criterion for would
be ensuring that when text was resized, that the text doesn't distort
the content by overlapping into fixed size content areas. The current
proposal is:

"A mechanism is available to change the scale of visually rendered
text content."

As this is a user agent issue, I propose:

"Visually rendered text can be scaled without obscuring other text or diagrams."

The success criterion then implicitly states that we expect text to be
able to be resized (through the user agent), but that the resized text
shouldn't obscure other parts of the content, which is a common
problem. Sufficient techniques could be:

* Elastic or Liquid Layouts
* Provide options to change the layout (style sheet switchers)

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-USERAGENT/guidelines.html#tech-configure-text-scale

Best regards,

Gez

--