RE: unambiguous parsing

From: Bailey, Bruce <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 09:25:51 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: "olivier Thereaux" <ot@w3.org>
> The semantic extractor mentioned above will only extract semantic
> information from wed documents, it won't pass any judgement on
> parseability.

Thanks, I didn't think it was the silver bullet.

> There are tools already for that purpose. For example, well formed
> XML-based content (including XHTML family document types, when served
> as application/xhtml+xml) has a clear parsing model, which many XML
> parsers know. But not all types of Web documents have a well-defined
> parsing model (see current discussions on HTML).

Yeah, xml is easy, so that is not the elephant in the room.  And, defering to market forces, does not even the W3C serves xhtml as text (not as application)?

For the sake of nostalgia, I  was just reviewing this in the issue tracker, so here you go (long and tiny variants):
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/issue-tracking/search_results.php?guideline=ensure-compat-parses&submit=Find+Matching+Comments
http://tinyurl.com/yflf6m