REVISED Web Page Proposal - Version 2.0

Oops

There was a " with the primary resource " phrase missing.  And a couple
other changes too to address your concern.

It should not say that all of the resources will be displayed simultaneously
with each other or with themselves.   Just that they will be displayed
simultaneously with the Primary Resource as some point in time.

The text the REVISED proposed reads

1)      Conformance would be by Web Page(s) at a URI or a defined set of
URIs.  Any conformance claim made must apply to all states of the page and
each state of the page would need to be accessible in order for the claim to
be valid.

2)      A web page is   (adapted from Web Characterization Terminology &
Definitions Sheet  --  W3C Working Draft 24-May-1999)

*	A collection of information, consisting of one or more Web
resources, intended to be rendered simultaneously with its primary resource,
and identified by a single URI.  More specifically, a Web page consists of a
primary Web resource with zero, one, or more embedded Web resources intended
to be rendered as a single unit, and referred to by the URI of the one
(primary) Web resource which is not embedded.

*         Examples: An image file, an applet, and an HTML file identified
and accessed through a single URI, and rendered together by a Web client.

*         Note: The components of a Web page can reside at different network
locations. The location of the Web page, however, is determined by the URI
identifying the page (the primary resource).

*         Note: The scope of a Web Page is limited to the collection of Web
resources that are displayed simultaneously with the primary resource at
some point in time.   Resources that are part of the Web page may be
displayed at different times and may differ depending on the client software
(user agent) used.

*         Note:  Dynamic Web pages may have multiple states.   Immersive or
animated content may change its state many times a second.

3)      With dynamic content such as Ajax, a user could request a URI and
encounter a page that had multiple states. These states may appear to the
user as variations of the same page or as completely different pages. In
either case, any conformance claim made would apply to all states of the
page.

*	An example of multiple page states at a single URI could be an
entire web application or an entire email application that was at one URI.
With this single URI application you move from the inbox to an address book
without leaving the URI .

4)      Even immersive environments could be covered because they would just
constitute a sequence of continually changing states in the web page.

5)      It is possible to implement the same application as multiple pages
or as multiple states of a single page.  They could be so identical in
appearance that the only way that a user could tell that they have not gone
to a new page was by looking up at the URI to see if it changed.   Since all
states of all pages need to be accessible - this difference doest not matter
since they would both need to be accessible.

6)      Sites that implement whole sections or a whole site at one URI
reduce their ability to focus the scope of any claim.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.