Re: accessibility of CAPTCHA

From: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:57:39 +0100
To: "Gregg Vanderheiden" <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Hi Gregg,

> I really think that - in the end - an approach like this will need to be
> used.

I think it's the only reasonable solution, and whoever provides the
service will have a very popular service.

> For our guidelines then - we don't have anything better than what we have?
> {if you use CAPTCHAs then use more than one type}.   It doesn't sound good
> enough but no one seems to be able to come up with anything better.

I agree it's not good enough. The guidelines shouldn't encourage the
use of something we know to be inaccessible with no hope of a
solution; particularly when robots handle the CAPTCHAs a lot better
than people - it just doesn't make sense.

Regards,

Gez

--
Supplement your vitamins