Re: FW: Questions and proposed approaches for Baseline Specifics

On 06/09/06, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu> wrote:
> 1.      We use WHOLE technologies in the Baseline (Like HTML or CSS).

Agreed.

> 2.      We probably DO need to specify which versions (e.g. HTML  3.2 thru
> 4.01 )

I think we have to include version numbers, as it's not reasonable to
assume user agents could support all versions of a technology. XHTML
2, for example, will not have much in common with XHTML 1.x.

> 3.      We also allow extensions (e.g. Embed) and modules where they are
> supported by AT and should be in a baseline.

I think a better approach would be to have a notes section within the
baseline statement that allows authors to specify things they have had
to do in order to get something to work. I don't think it's a good
idea to encourage vendors to add their own extensions to
specifications.

> 4.      If there is an element within a technology specification that is not
> supported by AT we can:
>
> a.      Not include it as a sufficient technique (e.g. not include 'object'
> in our list of sufficient techniques)

I'm a bit confused. It's the object element that makes Flash work with
IE and reveal the accessibility features of Flash to MSAA. The issue
is that when using the proper MIME type
(application/x-shockwave-flash), the Flash movie's accessibility
features are not revealed to MSAA, but they are when using the class
id for the ActiveX object. If we ban the object element, there is no
way Flash can be used accessibly. It's possible to just use the object
element to include Flash content that works with all modern user
agents, without having to use embed (requires hacks for IE), but it's
impossible to just rely on the embed element as IE doesn't support it
at all. The Flash Satay method [1] didn't work because it didn't use
the ActiveX object for IE.

[1] http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

Gez

--