the q element

From: David MacDonald <befree@magma.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:11:40 -0400
To: "'WCAG'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Thursday's call we discussed the <Q> element with some CSS styling to
accommodate different renderings in different browsers.

There was concern that making it a sufficient technique would create the
impression that just using quotes, (i.e  John said, "I am hungry")

 would not be sufficient. Cynthia offered the suggestion that perhaps we
should simply make using the quotation characters ("") around a quotation as
a sufficient technique also so that people will know its ok to use them.
Someone said that we can't do that because if the web master puts a space
after the quote (i.e., John said, " I am hungry")  it will mess up the
Screen Reader.

I think we can easily address that concern. We introduce a failure technique
that says:

Failure: placing spaces between quotation marks and the text they are
surrounding.

Then we could use Cynthia's suggestion, and make using quotation marks a
sufficient way to mark up quotations,

 *and* we could make sufficient technique that says using the <Q> element
with CSS would be another way to meet the SC.

Cheers

David

access empowers people...

        ...barriers disable them...