CONTENT

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:32:39 -0600
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Here is a definition of content from an ISO standard draft

3.2

content

information to be communicated to the user by means of a Web application
that is presented by text, images, video or other types of media

We had said earlier that content was more than just the information - that
it was the presentation too.  But I wonder...

The questions seem to be

-          If there is no information is it content?

-          Are pure sensory experiences content?

-          Are sensory experience and other non-informative parts of web
pages content.

-          If they are not content - could we still talk about them in our
guidelines on content

o        I think we could - because we are differentiating them from
content.

o        We also don't require text alternatives for things that contain no
information or meaning so...

-          Are web applications the only way to convey this information?
Is this the wrong use of that term?

o        Should this be user agents?

-          Should it be limited to media?

Maybe content is

3.2

content

information to be communicated to the user by means of a user agent that is
presented by structure, layout, text, images, video, scripts or other
components.

Just thinking aloud and looking for harmonization.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Depts of Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center
University of Wisconsin-Madison
< <http://trace.wisc.edu/> http://trace.wisc.edu/> FAX 608/262-8848
For a list of our list discussions http://trace.wisc.edu/lists/