Real-time events

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:24:42 -0600
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I had an action item to see if our new definition for Real-time would work.

Here are the places we use the term  (the first one is actually not a use of
real-time events)

1.2.3 Real-time captions
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/appendixA.html#captionsdef>  are provided
for live multimedia
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/appendixA.html#multimediadef> . [How
tml#media-equiv-real-time-captions>  to meet 1.2.3]

2.2.1 For each time-out that is a function of the content, at least one of
the following is true: [How
tml#time-limits-required-behaviors>  to meet 2.2.1]

*         the user is allowed to deactivate the time-out or;

*         the user is allowed to adjust the time-out over a wide range which
is at least ten times the length of the default setting or;

*         the user is warned before time expires and given at least 20
seconds to extend the time-out with a simple action (for example, "hit any
key") and the user is allowed to extend the timeout at least 10 times or;

*         the time-out is an important part of a real-time event (for
example, an auction), and no alternative to the time-out is possible or;

*         the time-out is part of an activity where timing is essential
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/appendixA.html#activity-timingdef>  (for
example, competitive gaming or time-based testing) and time limits can not
be extended further without invalidating the activity.

2.2.4 Except for real-time events
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/appendixA.html#real-time-eventsdef> ,
timing is not an essential part of the event or activity presented by the
content. [How
tml#time-limits-no-exceptions>  to meet 2.2.4]

The new definition is

real-time events

events that are live

Interesting.  Should we just plug in "live events"?    (or would we need to
define that)

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Depts of Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center
University of Wisconsin-Madison
< <http://trace.wisc.edu/> http://trace.wisc.edu/> FAX 608/262-8848
For a list of our list discussions http://trace.wisc.edu/lists/